Founder & Director
Evolution of Mind, Life and Society Research Institute
Veram Vitam Ltd.
Yohko Hatada’s mission is to empower each person to maximize her/his quality of life. Through her life-long scientific research understanding of life and experience in improving political systems, Yohko is adept at grasping the big picture and the long term perspective.
- Registered/ licensed National Policy Secretary for both Houses of Japanese and UK Parliament.
- Political activity: Human Right, Democratic Internet / Journalism, Energy reform.
- Versatile and pragmatic programme innovator
- System developer consultant
- Academic Research and Lecturer in Asia, Europe and USA
Yohko created the EMLSRI and Veram Vitam programmes to help individuals to flourish through fundamental self-understanding among the current dramatic societal paradigm shifts triggered by exponential science/technological advancements. The programmes include own career creation, an active participation in the creation of society and as a paradigm shifting leader. These new programmes combine her experience in politics and her understanding from interdisciplinary scientific research at international institutions (University of Oxford in UK, Columbia University in NY city, University College London in UK) in the followings:
- Evolution, Development, Plasticity, Adaptation
- Neuroscience, Neuropsychology, Cognitive / Social Psychology, Neuro – Modelling
- Ecology, System biology, Complexity science
- Metaphysics, Mindful Contemplation
as well as
- Music performance
- Politics and Education
|2013 – present||Founder and Director of EMLS RI.|
|2013 – present||Founder and Director of VeramVitam.Ltd|
|2010 – present||Registered Japanese National Parliaments policy secretary for both Diets|
|2002 – 2010||Research Fellow on International collaborative research INSERM/UCL/U. Kyoto/NTU/U. of Sheffield|
|2000 – 2002||Patent Office, Ministry of Economy,Traded and Industry, Japan
|1995 – 2000||Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Genetics and Development, Dept. of Pharmacology, Columbia University|
|1990 – 1995||Ph.D. (D.Phil), Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics Dept., University of Oxford, UK|
|1988 – 1989||M.Sc., Dept. of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, University of Durham, UK|
|2018– present||European Parliament Research Services, Science Technology Options Assessment for “A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency”, with University of Nottingham, AI Now institute, University of Oxford and Purdue University|
|2017 – present||IEEE P7003 Standard for Algorithmic Bias Considerations working group|
|2011||Japanese Anti-Nuclear Energy Campaign with ex PM Kan Naoto, ICAN USA and USA Senator Dennis Kucinich|
|2002 – 2010||Research collaboration (Japan, France, UK, China) to study extremely long lasting prism adaptation aftereffects with multi components interactions in normal human|
|2018 – 2018||European Parliament Research Services, Science Technology Options Assessment for “A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency”
• Based on an extensive review of existing proposals for governance of algorithmic systems, and an analyasis of the social, technical and regulatory challenges they pose, four policy options are proposed to address:
|2017 – present||IEEE Ethical standard initiative working group P7003 Standard for Algorithmic Bias Considerations working group
• This standards project working group is part of the IEEE Global Initiative on Ethics for Autonomous and Intelligent System.
|2015 – present||Possible alternative world. Needs for Paradigm-shift to E HDS: Evolvability of Humanity, Democracy & Symbiosis of life-nonlife-information
• Individual identity develops through living own Calling in Life-Work.
• Society should guarantee a political environment where each individual and all global citizens flourish to their maximum potential. Each individual agency and sovereign society must constructively enhance each other through / in the global political economic financial monetary legal international functions and institutions.
• Research proposing alternative worlds and the paths towards them.
|2013– present||The importance of finding and living true life and its societal condition for “Calling Right”
• The importance of “Calling”, searched and defined true connection to the self which gives authentic peaceful fulfilling confidence with the self and makes one want to contribute to the world with own passionate talent. Calling is the guide for life-long individual development with desire to live own true life, help and contribute to the world by own vision of a better world.
• I develop programmes to help individuals and global society using my academic expertise of evolution, development, adaptation, neuroscience, cognitive psychology, neuro network modelling, ecology, system sciences; Buddhism self-science, metaphysics and practice system; music anthropology; political / cultural understanding through working in the West and East.
|2011 – 2012||Japan anti-nuclear / Fukushima citizens campaign
• After the East Japan Earthquake and Fukushima Nuclear Plant disaster, Japanese media and journalism deteriorated dramatically. Human rights of affected people in Fukushima area were ignored. Investigation and reports became very difficult. I observed and experienced information manipulation nationally and internationally.
• I helped ICAN activists in US to collaborate with Japanese and ex PM Kan for effective campaign.
• I built a help-information network for connecting the offers from all Japan municipalities to the affected people who need the help and information.
• I felt the government’s loss of confidence by Fukushima Nuke disaster divided Japanese people and its society, with lies and anger. The loss of confidence must be repaired by truism of hearing own “Calling” and working for it.
|2010 – 2012||Journalism revolution in Japan at national level and municipal level
• Japanese journalism has historical weakness in its media law. It is not systemically, completely independent from US influence. My proposals suggested some fundamental ways to liberalise it. Among them, LDP took a part in its party manifesto: the need of strengthen Japanese broadcasting in the world as Japanese News reports.
• Liquid democratic system for municipal level. I proposed the idea that the mechanisms which citizens can directly propose, discuss and vote for suggesting issues to the municipal parliament. The mechanisms also function educationally for citizens to take active roles and responsibility to participate for the society building.
|2002 – 2010||Study of extremely long-lasting prism adaptation aftereffects with multi components interactions in normal human. (International collaborative research)
• This study explored the fundamental basis of human visuo-audio-proprioceptive information- internal model for action- integration for ocular-centric space and time perception coding for action, using a single 20 min spatially shifting prism glasses adaptation training.
• The results revealed 3 types of adaptation aftereffects: decay within hour, decay few hours, and a very long lasting (more than 1 week) adaptation aftereffects separately starting after 1 day. The results revealed various independent modular components of extremely long lasting aftereffects which interact dynamically. These suggest more than three independent but interacting cellular and neural network mechanisms of brain for perceptual and behavioural plasticity.
• The work had direct implications for behavioural therapies to ameliorate perception deficits in certain stroke patients. The impactful results were immediately used for clinical studies.
|1995 – 2000||Mechanisms of Learning & Memory in small neural network. (Columbia University)
• The processes and mechanisms of synapse formation during long term potentiation as memory formation and consolidation were studied in situ for 72h while memory was being formed.
• The results revealed separate mechanisms for long (more than 10h-d), middle (h), short-term (m) memory. Actin polymerization is the critical molecular regulation for formation of synapses and neurite elongation. The results also suggested the gene up-regulation of actin polymerization mechanism takes more than 10h and last more than 3 days.
• Technical challenge for establishing and using long duration live3D fluorescent microscopic video recording, video enhanced interference imaging and the analysis for the studies were daunting and very satisfactory.
|1990 – 1995||Study of the origin of “Organizer” in embryo in evolutionary developmental neurobiology. (University of Oxford)
• Mechanisms were studied of how a population of cells, known as “organizer”, regulate the differentiation of cell types and body pattern formation, determining the morphology of the whole body and nervous system.
•The evolutionary implications of the results were discussed by comparison with other vertebrate early embryogenesis.
• The results had high impacts for the basis of stem-cell research and regenerative medicine.
POLICY RELATED ACTIVITIES
Science Technology Options Assessment for European Parliament
- Report on “A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency” presented at European Parliament in Strasbourg on 25th October 2018 (from video mark 10:11:20). The report is currently in press.
International Technology Standards
- IEEE P7003 Standard for Algorithmic Bias Considerations working group
Evidence submitted to UK parliamentary inquiries
- Yohko Hatada EMLS RI (2018) Response to House of Lords Select Committee on Communications “The Internet: To Regulate of Not to Regulate?” inquiry, 13th June 2018
- Yohko Hatada EMLS RI (2018) Response to Commons Science and Technology Committee “Impact of social media and screen-use on young people’s health” inquiry, 6th April 2018
- Yohko Hatada & Koene A, EMSL RI (2016) Response to Commons Science and Technology Committee “Robotics and Artificial Intelligence” inquiry, Publication number: ROB0057, 3rd May 2016.
Policy recommendations for Japanese National Diets
Proposal to Japanese MP
- Yohko Hatada (2010) A Proposal for the Liberal Democratic Party Manifesto
- Yohko Hatada (2010) Proposals for Media revolution in Japanese Journalism.
Proposal in Japan
- Yohko Hatada (2011) Proposals for Liquid Democracy in Japanese municipal politics.
To the Mayor of Musashino City, Tokyo, Japan. 武蔵野市長への提言
Proposed to International Organizations
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2018) “Establishing Calling Right as a part of UN Human Rights.” Proposal letter to UNESCO Deputy Secretary- General Getachew Engida.
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2015) “The urgent need for establishing a totally securely protected international system of Whistleblower and investigative Journalism.” Proposal to UN University.
- Yohko Hatada (2011) Comment on Nuclear agency IAEA faces reform calls. Nature 29 4 2011 http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110427/full/472397a.html
- Yohko Hatada and Koene AR (2018) Workshop: Paradigm shift to develop genuine global civilization and the role of ICT (Session 112) https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2018/Pages/Agenda/Session/112#intro
- Ronchi, C. Zavazava, Y. Sawmynade, JdD. Rurangirwa, E. Dzhaparova, AA Yafei, A Mohamed, T. Ola, and Yohko Hatada (2018) Moderated High-Level Policy Session 14, Knowledge societies, capacity building and e-learning / Media (Session 329) WSIS2018, Geneva, Swiss https://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2018/Pages/Agenda/Session/329#intro
- Yohko Hatada, Spielkamp, M. and Gahnberg, C. (2017) Regulation of algorithmic systems that control online information access. IGF 2017, Geneva, Swiss.
- Yohko Hatada and Koene A (2017) Workshop: Algorithmic Mediated Online Information Access (AMOIA) MozFest, London, UK
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2016) Self and international citizenship of the authentic agency in globally connected world. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, Veram Vitam (2016) Workshop: Connection to authentic self. Buddhism Self-Science, Metaphysics and practice system (Vajrayana) in globally connected world. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2015) Neuroscience development in recent consciousness studies. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, Veram Vitam Ltd. (2015) Workshop: Psychodynamics of finding and living in own Calling. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2014) The relation of Individual and Society: Humanity and Democracy in international society. Birmingham University, UK
- Yohko Hatada, Veram Vitam Ltd. (2013) Workshop: Live your true life. This is the most important project in your life. Birmingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada(2013) How to find own Calling and to build into Life-Work. Live your true life. Birmingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (2011) Creative humane life by the self
畠田陽子 (2011) 人間的創造的な生き方 東京、国際大学GLOCOM Universtiy, Tokyo, Japan.
- Yohko Hatada (2010) The needs for using English in the Tokyo offices of international Japanese corporations. Japanese National Women Politician Discussion Workshop, Tokyo, Japan.
畠田陽子 (2010)日本国際企業の日本本社での英語強制使用の是非 円より子政治スクール討論
- Yohko Hatada (2009) Is our time perception really independent from space perception? Sheffield University, Sheffield, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (2007) Power of Adaptation to laterally shifting prism glasses: interdependence of time and space perception, plasticity & rehabilitation in hemispatial neglect patients. National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Yohko Hatada (2006) Perceptual shifts of temporal frequency in audition and vision after adaptation to visuo-spatial lateral displacement by right shifting prism glasses. University College London, London, UK.
- Yohko Hatada and Rossetti Y. (2005) Possible mechanisms for two waves of a long-lasting after-effect of prism adaptation measured over 7 days. ICN, University College London, London, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (2002) Comparison of morphological plasticity of pre-synaptic varicosity between leaning and development in Aplysia sensory –motor neuron cell culture. National Institute of Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Japan.
- Yohko Hatada (2001) Presynaptic morphological changes associated with long-term synaptic facilitation are triggered by actin polymerization at pre-existing varicosities. RIKEN, Tokyo, Japan.
- Yohko Hatada (1999) En passant synaptic varicosity formation during development and long-term facilitation in Aplysia cell culture. Centre for Neurobiology and Behaviour, Columbia University, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada (1995) Relation between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axis formation in early chick embryo. Harvard University, MA, USA.
- Yohko Hatada (1995) A fate map of the epiblast and Regulation between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axis formation in early chick embryo. Columbia University, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada (1994) A fate map and axis formation of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Rockefeller University, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1993) The axis formation in the early chick embryo. Department of Human Anatomy, Oxford University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (1992) A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Department of Human Anatomy, Oxford University, UK.
2. Original Research Papers in Peer-reviewed journals and Conference Paper
- Ansgar Koene, Yohko Hatada, et al. (2018) A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency. Science Technology Options Assessment report for European Parliament Research Service. Presented at European Parliament in Strasbourg on 25 October 2018. in press.
- Yohko Hatada(2009) Modulation of temporal and spatial frequency perception is correlated in craniotopic coordinates. Society for Neuroscience Abstract.
- Yohko Hatada (2009) Time perception is modulated by spatial adaptation to prism glasses. Workshop of Computational principles of sensorimotor learning.Kloster Irsee, Germany.
- Yohko Hatada (2008) Perceived visual spatial frequency is modulated with perceived eye orientation. International symposium on the neural basis of decision making. Groesbeek, Netherlands.
- Yohko Hatada (2008) Interactive coding between audition and vision in perception of temporal frequency and spatial frequency in craniotopic coordinates.BCBT meeting, Spain
- Yohko Hatada (2007) Visual spatial lateral displacement by prism adaptation distorted perception of temporal frequency in vision and audition, at “purely” perceptual level. Society for Neuroscience Abstract16.
- Yohko Hatada (2007) A coding model from the experimental results on inseparability in craniotopic visual spatiotemporal frequency perception in human. Computational Cognitive Neuroscience conference Abstrac San Diego. San Diego.303.16.
- Yohko Hatada and Ashida H. (2007) Perception of temporal frequency in vision and audition is affected by shift of head centred spatial perception by adaptation to laterally shifting prism glasses. Vision Society of Japan Annual Meeting Abstract 2007 1o9:51-2
- Yohko Hatada, Miall, RC. and Rossetti, Y. (2006) Long lasting aftereffect of a single prism adaptation: directionally biased passive proprioception and internal egocentric reference frame. Brain Res. 174(1):189-98.
- Yohko Hatada, Rossetti, Y. and Miall, RC. (2006) Long lasting prism adaptation after effects reveal that shifts in vision and proprioception are independent. Brain Res.173(3):415-24.
- Yohko Hatada, Miall, RC. and Rossetti, Y. (2006) Two waves of a long-lasting after-effect of prism adaptation measured over 7 days. Brain Res. 169, 417-426.
- Yohko Hatada, Rossetti, Y. and Miall, RC. (2006) Long-lasting prism adaptation aftereffects reveal independent shifts in vision and proprioception.
- Yohko Hatada and Rossetti Y. (2004) Prism adaptation generates a very long lasting-directionally biased proprioceptive shift in healthy subjects. Society for Neuroscience Abstract12.
- Yohko Hatada and Rossetti Y. (2004) Long-lasting prism adaptation after-effect: Shift in open loop midsagittal pointing involves more than just visual and proprioceptive components. Perception 33: Suppl.:140.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Sun, S.Y., Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (2000) Presynaptic morphological changes associated with long-term synaptic facilitation are triggered by actin polymerization at preexisting varicosities. Journal of Neuroscience 20 RC82, 1-5.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Silverman, R. Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1999) En passant synaptic varicosities form directly from growth cones by transient cessation of growth cone advance but not motility. Journal of Neurobiology 41, 242-251.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1999): New presynaptic varicosities form from pre-existing varicosities during long-term facilitation in Aplysia cell culture. Meeting abstract on Learning and Memory Cold Spring Harbor “Learning and Memory”, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1998) Presynaptic varicosities become morphologically plastic and are sites of neurite outgrowth with 5-HT facilitation of Aplysia sensorimotor neuron synapses in culture. for Neuroscience Abstracts 24, 1703.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Silverman, R. Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1997) Formation of en passant synapses involves transient cessation of growth cone advance but not motility. for Neuroscience Abstracts 23, 1980.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1994) A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Development 120, 2879-2889.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1993) Relation between fate map of the epiblast of the early chick and frog embryo. Wellcome Trust, London UK.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1992) A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. BSDB meeting, Sussex University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (1989) Master thesis: A Study of Ground Beetles (Carabidae, Coleoptera) at Adjacent Woodland and Grassland Habitats in Durham, North-East England. Durham University Library
- Yohko Hatada (1995) The axis formation in the chick embryo. Oxford University, UK.(ASIN: B001ABCQWI, British Library)
- Stern, C.D., Yohko Hatada, Selleck, M. A. J. and Storey, K.G. (1992) Relationships between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axis in chick and frog embryos. In Stern, C.D. and Ingham, P. (eds.) Development, 151-156, The company of Biologists Ltd., Cambridge.
4. Media Engagement