CEO, Founder & Director
EMLS RI Ltd. (Evolution of Mind Life Society Research Institute)
Dr. Yohko Hatada is an evolutionist who established EMLS RI to implement a better future society by all global citizens with symbiotic functions through two ways:
- Understanding of fundamental multi-disciplinary researches;
- Suggesting and publishing for implementing functions as global institutions / mechanisms / policy frameworks / regulation / standards / certificates in the real society / scientific policy.
1. Understanding: Dr. Hatada researched and published interdisciplinary academic research in
- Neuroscience of Learning and Memory (Research fellow: Columbia U. USA)
- Cognitive Neuropsychology and Neuro Modelling (Research fellow: UCL, UK; INSERM, France)
- Neural Correlates of Consciousness (Research fellow: INSERM, France)
- Evolutionary Developmental Neuroscience (Ph.D: Oxford U., UK)
- Evolutionary Behavioural Population Ecology (M.Sc.: Durham U., UK)
- Vajrayana Buddhism (Ordained by the 41st and 42nd His Holiness Sakya Trizin)
- Political Economy, Patent Law, Trade, Law (Ministry of Economy Trade Industry, Japan; Keio U., Japan)
2. Publications and presentations
- Find and Execute the True Passion of Your Lifework: A Calling Development Program (Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI)
- AI Transparency and Accountability Regulation Policy Framework (European Parliament)
- Ethical Standard for Algorithmic Governance (IEEE, P7003) Leader in Conceptualization of project, Psychology of Bias
- ECPAIS (Ethics Certification Program for AI System) HL-WG member in Accountability, AI Bias, Transparency
- Agency development with Identity realization based on value system of HDSE (Internet Governance Forum (IGF))
- Metaphysical understanding and integration of multi-layered Agency (UNESCO)
- Prioritise Children’s identity- agency development (UNICEF)
- Calling Rights supported by enabling state system (UNESCO)
- Agency development of AI era (UK Parliament)
- Democratic Electoral Processes in Digital Era (EuroDIG, WSIS)
- Safe and Secure Investigative Journalism System (UN University)
- AI and Media Reform (DPJ, Japan; LDP, Japan)
- Liquid Democratic system for Musashino City (Tokyo, Japan)
- Party Manifesto for Japanese Political Parties (DPJ, Japan; LDP, Japan)
- Capacitating disabled people economically by institutional support for own works (Kagoshima, Japan).
3. EMLS RI:
In 2013, Dr. Hatada combined her understanding and expertise into the services of the Evolution of Mind Life Society Research Institute that was founded by her.
EMLS RI researches for better future global society evolution. It proposes policies, institutions and mechanisms for governments, organizations and individuals. It helps to support, secure and to evolve Humanity, Democratic processes and Symbiotic information ecosystem, including life and non-life of all.
The mechanisms: strategic institutional infrastructure building as outlined below, including political economy and global AI governance.
- E HDS: Evolvability of Humanity, Democratic processes and Symbiotic information ecosystem, including life and non-life of all, increase as global civilization develops.
- All individuals hold unique Calling as a drive of Agency: to pursue throughout life as Life-Work. Each of us lives own Calling to realise own World Vision of E HDS, which deepens peaceful authenticity and furthers genuine responsibility to lead the world from conflicts to a co-operative order. This World Vision goes beyond own interest, through diligent creative actions for own ideal world based on understanding of interdependence in the global ecosystem.
- Alignment of diverse Agencies in different contexts is important in the individual: Individuals play multiple roles in diverse contexts in everyday life. Solving the conflicts among them deepens understanding of own World Vision and brings capacity to further contributions to the real world creation through your Calling Life-Work actions.
- Global governance must secure life: Global governance must guarantee such a developing quality of life of all the international citizens, organizations / environmental ecosystem and global civilization in any moment to thrive and evolve with accountable institution frameworks and coordinated collaborative efforts, including the crisis governance.
- Engineering global institutions: by the global information ecosystem to understand what is happening and what can be predicted, by building effective solutions with flexible dynamic institutional systems and managing strategy for what can be done based on scientific understanding and creating solutions for values.
- Evolvability in interplays: There are two facets: Objective and subjective components. One is objective components as phenomena of evolution. Another is subjective component of evolution. Fulfilment is felt subjectively moment to moment as a drive of diligent actions for realizing own World Vision and continue to thrive, even in the process of death. The two dance to continue to evolve, that is evolvability. Evolvability of evolution itself.
List of current works
Policy advisor for National Parliaments of Japan, UK, EU.
Contributor/Speaker/Panelist at Internet Governance Forum (IGF), UNESCO, UNICEF, ITU World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) High Level Presenter, World Government Summit – Global Governance of AI Roundtable (GGAR), EuroDIG, OECD Forum, UNCTAD, IEEE ethical standards, ECPAIS (IEEE Ethics Certification Program for Autonomous and Intelligent System, Council on Extended Intelligence (CXI, MIT and IEEE), Just Net Coalition, MyData, RightsCon, Chatham House Cyber Security.
Present and Past Work
|2013 – present||CEO, Founder and Director of EMLS RI Ltd
|2012 – 2014||Research Fellow, Dept. of Psychology, University of Birmingham, UK
|2010 – 2014||Registered Japanese National Parliaments policy secretary for both Diets|
|2002 – 2010||Research Fellow on International collaborative research programme (INSERM/UCL/U. Kyoto/NTU/U. of Sheffield)|
|2001 – 2002||Scientific Expert Examiner, Biotechnology section, Japanese Patent Office, Ministry of Economy,Traded and Industry, Japan
|1995 – 2000||Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Dept. of Pharmacology, Centre for Neurobiology and Behaviour, Columbia University, NY, USA
|1994 – 1995||Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Dept. Genetics, Columbia University, NY, USA
|1984 – 1988||Researcher, Clinical Psychology Dept., Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
|1980 – 1984||Lecturer, Evolution Theory, Human Evolution, Kamimura Nursing College, Kagoshima, Japan
|1996 – 2018||Ordained Vajrayana Buddhist by
His Holiness the 41st Sakya Trizin, Kayabgon Gongma Trichen Rinpoche, and HH 42nd Sakya Trizin, Ratna Vajra Rinpoche
|1996||Piano Performance, Composition, Music Theory; Julliard Music School, New York, US|
|1990 – 1995||Ph.D. (D.Phil), Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics Dept., University of Oxford, UK|
|1989 – 1990||Extracurricular studies on Developmental Pain Neurophysiology, Dept. of Developmental Biology, UCL (University College London), UK|
|1988 – 1989||M.Sc., Evolutionary Behavioural Population Ecology, Dept. of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, University of Durham, UK|
|2013||UnLtd Social Enterprise Award, EMSL RI, UK|
|2010||Certificate for policy secretary for both Diets of Japanese Parliament (House of Representatives and House of Councillors)|
|2007||National Taiwan University fellowship from National Science Council, Taiwan|
|2003 – 2004||INSERM fellowship for researchers, France|
|1995 – 2000||Research fellowship, Columbia University, USA|
|1991 – 1994||Wellcome Trust Prize fellowship, University of Oxford, UK|
|2019 – Present||ECPAIS (IEEE Ethics Certification Program for Autonomous and Intelligent System)|
|2018 – 2019||European Parliament Research Services, Science Technology Options Assessment for “A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency”, with University of Nottingham, AI Now institute, University of Oxford and Purdue University|
|2017 – Present||IEEE P7003 Standard for Algorithmic Bias Considerations working group. Leading the two teams on “Conception and Conceptualization of project” and “Psychological and Cultural dimensions of bias”|
|2011 – 2012||Japanese Anti-Nuclear Energy Campaign with ex PM Kan Naoto, ICAN USA and USA Senator Dennis Kucinich|
|2002 – 2010||Research collaboration (Japan, France, UK, China) to study the mechanisms of spatial and temporal coding in human action and perception|
|2019 – Present||ECPAIS (IEEE Ethics Certification Program for Autonomous and Intelligent System)
|2018 – 2019||European Parliament Research Services, Science Technology Options Assessment for “A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency”.
|2017 – present||IEEE P7003 Standard for Algorithmic Bias Considerations working group
|2015 – present||Alternative Global Future Society. Needs for Paradigm-shift to E HDS: Evolvability of Humanity, Democracy & Symbiosis of life-nonlife-information
|2013– present||The importance of finding and living true life and its societal condition for “Calling Right”
|2011 – 2012||Japan anti-nuclear / Fukushima citizens campaign
|2010 – 2012||Journalism revolution in Japan at national level and municipal level
|2002 – 2010||Study of spatial and temporal coding in human perception and action. (INSERM, UCL, Kyoto U, Nat. Taiwan U., Sheffield U.)
|1995 – 2000||Mechanisms of Learning & Memory in small neural network. (Columbia University)
|1990 – 1995||Study of the origin of “Organizer” in embryo in evolutionary developmental neurobiology. (University of Oxford)
|1982 – 1984||Building institution for disabled people to become independent (Muginome institution, Kagoshima, Japan)
(I) POLICY RELATED ACTIVITIES AND PUBLICATIONS
(I). 1: Publications
ECPAIS (IEEE Ethics Certification Program for Autonomous and Intelligent System)
- ECPAIS Certification for Transparency, 2020
- ECPAIS Certification for Accountability, 2020
- ECPAIS Certification for Algorithmic Bias, 2020
Proposed to International / National Organizations
- Hatada Yohko (2020) Proposal to Japanese Government against Coronavirus Pandemic.
- Hatada Yohko (2019) Proposal “Prioritize children’s identity – agencydevelopment” What AI principles mean for child rights to UNICEF
- Hatada Yohko, (2018) “Establishing Calling Right as a part of UN Human Rights.” Proposal letter to UNESCO Deputy Secretary- General Getachew Engida.
- Hatada Yohko, (2015) “The urgent need for establishing a totally securely protected international system of Whistleblower and investigative Journalism.” Proposal to UN University for Peace.
- Hatada Yohko, (2011) Comment on Nuclear agency IAEA faces reform calls. Nature 29 4 2011 http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110427/full/472397a.html
International Technology Standards
- IEEE P7003 Standard for Algorithmic Bias Considerations working group
- Ansgar Koene, Adam L. Smith, Takashi Egawa, Sukanya Mandalh, Yohko Hatada. 2018. IEEE P70xx, Establishing Standards for Ethical Technology. In Proceedings of KDD, ExCeL London UK, August, 2018 (KDD’18)
European Parliament Science Technology Options Assessment
- Report on “A governance framework for algorithmic accountability and transparency” presented at European Parliament in Strasbourg on 25th October 2018 (from video mark 10:11:20); report published 4th April 2019.
Evidence submitted to UK parliamentary inquiries
- Yohko Hatada EMLS RI (2018) Response to House of Lords Select Committee on Communications “The Internet: To Regulate of Not to Regulate?” inquiry, Publication number: IRN0082, 13th June 2018
- Yohko Hatada EMLS RI (2018) Response to Commons Science and Technology Committee “Impact of social media and screen-use on young people’s health” inquiry, Publication number: SMH0141, 6th April 2018
- Yohko Hatada & Koene A, EMSL RI (2016) Response to Commons Science and Technology Committee “Robotics and Artificial Intelligence” inquiry, Publication number: ROB0057, 3rd May 2016.
Policy recommendations for Japanese National Diets
Proposal to Japanese Political Parties
- Yohko Hatada (2010) A Proposal for the Liberal Democratic Party Manifesto
- Yohko Hatada (2010) Proposals for Media revolution in Japanese Journalism.
Proposal in Japan
- Yohko Hatada (2011) Proposals for Liquid Democracy in Japanese municipal politics. To the Mayor of Musashino City, Tokyo, Japan. 武蔵野市長への提言
(I). 2: Talks/Workshops
- Yohko Hatada (2020) WS #125 How do you embed trust and confidence in AI?, Internet Governance Forum (IGF) 2020, Virtual, Online
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Prioritize children’s development and well-being (Principles for AI and child rights) UNICEF, NY USA
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Regulatory approaches for guiding ICT innovation: “The age of self-regulation has ended“, MyData 2019, Helsinki, Finland
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Working Group 1: Mapping the rise of AI and its governance; Expert Group 2: The Geopolitics of AI. Global Governance of AI Roundtable, World Government Summit 2019, Dubai
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Working Group 2: Governing the rise of AI in different contexts; Expert Group 5: Governance of the Development of AGI. Global Governance of AI Roundtable, World Government Summit 2019, Dubai
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Working Group 3: AI for SDGs and International Panel of AI; Expert Group 10: International Panel on AI. Global Governance of AI Roundtable, World Government Summit 2019, Dubai
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Working Group 4: Making the AI Revolution Work for Everyone; Expert Group 14: International Panel on AI. Global Governance of AI Roundtable, World Government Summit 2019, Dubai
- Yohko Hatada and Koene A (2019) Regulatory approaches to guiding ICT innovation: “The age of self-regulation has ended” – Democratic Internet Governance requires paradigm shifts, EuroDIG2019, Hague, Netherlands
- Yohko Hatada and Koene A (2019) Advanced Literacy – Algorithmic Awareness, EuroDIG2019, the Hague, the Netherlands
- Yohko Hatada and Elena Perotti, Gero Nagel, Giacomo Mazzone, Narine Khachatryan, Nika Bakhosoliani, Nadia Tjahja (2019) Fending off trolls – Journalists in defence of democracy, EuroDIG2019, the Hague, Netherlands
- Yohko Hatada (2019) Identity Development in Digital Era, World Summit on Information Society (WSIS), ITU, Geneva, Switzerland
- Polanco Lazo Rodrigo, Burcu Kilic, Francisco Vera and Yohko Hatada (2019) Sustainable development goals in the age of artificial intelligence and digital trade, UNCTAD, Geneva, Switzerland
- Yohko Hatada (2018) Expert for RSA (Royal Society of Arts) and DeepMind’s citizens’ juries on automated decision-making systems
- Yohko Hatada and Koene A (2018) Workshop: Paradigm shift to develop genuine global civilization and the role of ICT, World Summit on Information Society (WSIS), ITU, (Session 112)
- Ronchi, C. Zavazava, Y. Sawmynade, JdD. Rurangirwa, E. Dzhaparova, AA Yafei, A Mohamed, T. Ola, and Yohko Hatada (2018) Moderated High-Level Policy Session 14, Knowledge societies, capacity building and e-learning / Media (Session 329) World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) 2018, ITU, Geneva, Swiss
- Yohko Hatada, Spielkamp, M. and Gahnberg, C. (2017) Regulation of algorithmic systems that control online information access. Internet Governance Forum (IGF) 2017, Geneva, Swiss.
- Yohko Hatada and Koene A (2017) Workshop: Algorithmic Mediated Online Information Access (AMOIA) MozFest, London, UK
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2016) Self and international citizenship of the authentic agency in globally connected world. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, Veram Vitam (2016) Workshop: Connection to authentic self. Buddhism Self-Science, Metaphysics and practice system (Vajrayana) in globally connected world. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2015) Neuroscience development in recent consciousness studies. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, Veram Vitam Ltd. (2015) Workshop: Psychodynamics of finding and living in own Calling. Nottingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada, EMLS RI (2014) The relation of Individual and Society: Humanity and Democracy in international society. Birmingham University, UK
- Yohko Hatada, Veram Vitam Ltd. (2013) Workshop: Live your true life. This is the most important project in your life. Birmingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada(2013) How to find own Calling and to build into Life-Work. Live your true life. Birmingham University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (2011) Creative humane life by the self
畠田陽子 (2011) 人間的創造的な生き方 東京、国際大学GLOCOM Universtiy, Tokyo, Japan.
- Yohko Hatada (2010) The needs for using English in the Tokyo offices of international Japanese corporations. Japanese National Women Politician Discussion Workshop, Tokyo, Japan.
畠田陽子 (2010)日本国際企業の日本本社での英語強制使用の是非 円より子政治スクール討論
(I). 3: Books
- Yohko Hatada (2013) Find and Execute Authentic Passion in your life-work with your own World Vision. Live your Ture Life with your deepest fulfilment – The most important “Project” of your life. EMLS RI.
- Yohko Hatada (2020) Find and Execute the True Passion of Your Lifework: A Calling Development Program. ISBN : 979-8557100342, EMLS RI.
(I). 4: Media Engagement
- Yohko Hatada and Koene A (2015) How to anti-radicalize ‘Imams Online’, BBC Radio Nottingham
(II) ACADEMIC PUBLICATIONS
(II). 1: Original Research Papers Publications in Peer-reviewed journals
- Yohko Hatada(2009) Modulation of temporal and spatial frequency perception is correlated in craniotopic coordinates. Society for Neuroscience Abstract.
- Yohko Hatada (2009) Time perception is modulated by spatial adaptation to prism glasses. Workshop of Computational principles of sensorimotor learning. Kloster Irsee, Germany.
- Yohko Hatada (2008) Perceived visual spatial frequency is modulated with perceived eye orientation. International symposium on the neural basis of decision making. Groesbeek, Netherlands.
- Yohko Hatada (2008) Interactive coding between audition and vision in perception of temporal frequency and spatial frequency in craniotopic coordinates. Barcelona Cognition, Brain and Technology (BCBT) meeting, Spain
- Yohko Hatada (2007) Visual spatial lateral displacement by prism adaptation distorted perception of temporal frequency in vision and audition, at “purely” perceptual level. Society for Neuroscience Abstract 303.16 San Diego, USA
- Yohko Hatada (2007) A coding model from the experimental results on inseparability in craniotopic visual spatiotemporal frequency perception in human. Computational Cognitive Neuroscience conference Abstract.
- Yohko Hatada and Ashida H. (2007) Perception of temporal frequency in vision and audition is affected by shift of head centred spatial perception by adaptation to laterally shifting prism glasses. Vision Society of Japan Annual Meeting Abstract 2007 1o9:51-2
- Yohko Hatada, Miall, RC. and Rossetti, Y. (2006) Long lasting aftereffect of a single prism adaptation: directionally biased passive proprioception and internal egocentric reference frame. Brain Res. 174(1):189-98.
- Yohko Hatada, Rossetti, Y. and Miall, RC. (2006) Long lasting prism adaptation after effects reveal that shifts in vision and proprioception are independent. Brain Res.173(3):415-24.
- Yohko Hatada, Miall, RC. and Rossetti, Y. (2006) Two waves of a long-lasting after-effect of prism adaptation measured over 7 days. Brain Res. 169, 417-426.
- Yohko Hatada, Rossetti, Y. and Miall, RC. (2006) Long-lasting prism adaptation aftereffects reveal independent shifts in vision and proprioception. Perception.
- Yohko Hatada and Rossetti Y. (2004) Prism adaptation generates a very long lasting-directionally biased proprioceptive shift in healthy subjects. Society for Neuroscience Abstract 524.12.
- Yohko Hatada and Rossetti Y. (2004) Long-lasting prism adaptation after-effect: Shift in open loop midsagittal pointing involves more than just visual and proprioceptive components. Perception 33: Suppl.:140.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Sun, S.Y., Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (2000) Presynaptic morphological changes associated with long-term synaptic facilitation are triggered by actin polymerization at preexisting varicosities. Journal of Neuroscience 20 RC82, 1-5.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Silverman, R. Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1999) En passant synaptic varicosities form directly from growth cones by transient cessation of growth cone advance but not motility. Journal of Neurobiology 41, 242-251.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1999): New presynaptic varicosities form from pre-existing varicosities during long-term facilitation in Aplysia cell culture. Meeting abstract on Learning and Memory Cold Spring Harbor “Learning and Memory”, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1998) Presynaptic varicosities become morphologically plastic and are sites of neurite outgrowth with 5-HT facilitation of Aplysia sensorimotor neuron synapses in culture. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 24, 1703.
- Yohko Hatada, Wu, F., Silverman, R. Schacher, S. and Goldberg D. J. (1997) Formation of en passant synapses involves transient cessation of growth cone advance but not motility. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts 23, 1980.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1994) A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Development 120, 2879-2889.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1993) Relation between fate map of the epiblast of the early chick and frog embryo. Wellcome Trust, London UK.
- CD Stern, Yohko Hatada, MAJ Selleck, KG Storey – (1992) Relationships between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axes in chick and frog embryos Development,
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1992) A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. BSDB meeting, Sussex University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (1989) Master thesis: A Study of Ground Beetles (Carabidae, Coleoptera) at Adjacent Woodland and Grassland Habitats in Durham, North-East England. Durham University Library
(II). 2: Invited Individual Talks and Workshops
- Yohko Hatada (2009) Is our time perception really independent from space perception? Sheffield University, Sheffield, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (2007) Power of Adaptation to laterally shifting prism glasses: interdependence of time and space perception, plasticity & rehabilitation in hemispatial neglect patients. National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Yohko Hatada (2006) Perceptual shifts of temporal frequency in audition and vision after adaptation to visuo-spatial lateral displacement by right shifting prism glasses. University College London, London, UK.
- Yohko Hatada and Rossetti Y. (2005) Possible mechanisms for two waves of a long-lasting after-effect of prism adaptation measured over 7 days. ICN, University College London, London, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (2002) Comparison of morphological plasticity of pre-synaptic varicosity between leaning and development in Aplysia sensory –motor neuron cell culture. National Institute of Physiological Sciences, Okazaki, Japan.
- Yohko Hatada (2001) Presynaptic morphological changes associated with long-term synaptic facilitation are triggered by actin polymerization at pre-existing varicosities. RIKEN, Tokyo, Japan.
- Yohko Hatada (1999) En passant synaptic varicosity formation during development and long-term facilitation in Aplysia cell culture. Centre for Neurobiology and Behaviour, Columbia University, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada (1995) Relation between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axis formation in early chick embryo. Harvard University, MA, USA.
- Yohko Hatada (1995) A fate map of the epiblast and Regulation between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axis formation in early chick embryo. Columbia University, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada (1994) A fate map and axis formation of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Rockefeller University, NY, USA.
- Yohko Hatada and Stern, C.D. (1993) The axis formation in the early chick embryo. Department of Human Anatomy, Oxford University, UK.
- Yohko Hatada (1992) A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Department of Human Anatomy, Oxford University, UK.
(II). 3: Books
- Yohko Hatada (1995) The axis formation in the chick embryo. Oxford University, UK.(ASIN: B001ABCQWI, British Library)
- Stern, C.D., Yohko Hatada, Selleck, M. A. J. and Storey, K.G. (1992) Relationships between mesoderm induction and the embryonic axis in chick and frog embryos. In Stern, C.D. and Ingham, P. (eds.) Development, 151-156, The company of Biologists Ltd., Cambridge.